As Commissary Technician, you will perform a variety of tasks including preparing diets according to formulas and feeding schedules for our animal collection. Other tasks include inventorying, ordering, stocking, and delivering all manner of produce, grains, hay, and other foods to various areas around the zoo. Technicians do not have direct contact with the animals but play an important role in the Animal Department. This position requires a work schedule 7am-3:30pm with 2 days off during the week. You must be able to work weekends, holidays, and overtime when needed. Technicians will be trained but required to complete tasks independently.
WHO WE ARE
- Zoo New England's mission is to inspire people to protect and sustain the natural world for future generations by creating fun and engaging experiences that integrate wildlife and conservation programs, research, and education.
- Zoo New England manages and operates both Franklin Park Zoo in Boston founded in 1912 and Stone Zoo in Stoneham, Massachusetts founded in 1905 and attracts over 1 million guests. We are in an exciting growth phase, with many new projects, exhibits and large events.
- You’ll be part of the Commissary Team, one of the teams within Animal Care – we are the largest department in the zoo, and we are responsible for the wellbeing of thousands of animals, of hundreds of species - many of which are endangered in the wild.
- Zoo New England hosts a diversity of passionate people and is a place where you can make a difference, to care for animals and to secure a future for wildlife.
WHO YOU ARE
- This is a fast-paced environment with lots of tasks, and we require someone that can work effectively and be productive.
Attention to detail:
- It is important that the diets for the animals are prepared correctly so accuracy is key.
- There is a lot of independent work, keeping communication open is a key to our success.
Excellent organizational skills:
- We work in a small space with a lot of inventory. It is important for us to organize inventory and rotate stock.
- We maintain the spaces exceptionally clean and organized and are looking for someone that will take pride in the quality of the work and standards of the commissary area.
YOUR PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepares diets for animal consumption as directed by veterinarians and curatorial staff, including thawing, chopping, washing, peeling, boiling, shredding, weighing, etc.
- Maintains standards according to OSHA, USDA, AZA and the Health Department.
- Accepts and inspects deliveries of diet items for freshness, quality, and contamination; rejects when inaccurate or quality falls below specifications.
- Maintains inventory records on this information and reports problems to his/her supervisor.
- Makes food deliveries to animal areas and prepares diet items for pick-up;
- transports Animal Care department's mail and packages;
- loads and transports heavy objects (including, but not limited to crates, bags of grain and bales of hay);
- collects and makes deliveries of food stuffs and packages within or between the zoos, or from vendors.
- Works safely in proximity to all taxa, which includes being near mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, fish, and invertebrates, without touching, feeding, engaging, or entering enclosures.
REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS
- High School diploma or GED.
- TB tested negative within the last 6 months before starting and fully vaccinated for COVID-19.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products, particularly Word, Outlook, Excel and Teams.
- Must be at least 18 years old and have a valid driver's license with a safe driving history.
- Must be physically able to work on their feet for long periods and lift over 50lbs.
- Preferred: experience working with food preparation in any setting.
- Preferred: Knowledge of and experience in nutrition, animal nutrition or animals.
- Preferred: experience with stock management and rotation.
- ZNE offers a comprehensive benefits package for fulltime staff including:
- Medical, dental, and vision HMO plans for you and eligible dependents
- 9 paid holidays and 6 personal holidays
- Accrue 10 vacation days and 12 days of sick leave your first year
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Free zoo membership that includes zoo admission and discounts after 90 days
- Discounts and perks at ZNE institutions and other organizations in the Mass
- Free staff parking
- 401 Retirement Plan after 6 months
- ZNE values diverse perspectives and life experiences.
- Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
- The zoo encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, 2SLGBTQ, people with disabilities, veterans, and those with diverse life experiences.
- entry level