HOW YOU WILL IMPACT OUR MISSION The Wildlife Nutrition Intern will participate in day-to-day activities of the Wildlife Nutrition department that would include dietary management, clinical nutrition problem solving, and contributing to conservation projects for both the San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Zoo Safari Park. This position reports to the Clinical Wildlife Nutrition Manager. This role provides opportunities to obtain applicable job experience, in the areas of wildlife nutrition, health, and care.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Performs a wide variety of tasks related to wildlife dietary management, clinical nutrition problem solving, and SDZWA mission.
- Performs special projects.
- Continues post-secondary education pursuits.
- Obtains professional development.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- The Wildlife Nutrition Student Fellowship provides an unparalleled six-month opportunity for professional development, growth, and learning through immersion in the field of zoo nutrition.
- Fellows interact and collaborate with a diversity of professionals, from nutritionists and dietary preparation staff to animal care staff, clinical DVMs, pathology DVMs, education teams, and more.
- The person in this role will assist with dietary management under supervision of a Clinical Wildlife Nutrition Manager (nutritionist), including communication with animal teams, documentation of current practices, review of past practices and/or animal natural history, body condition scoring of animals, diet formulation, nutritional evaluation, and review of dietary acceptance.
- In addition to submitting their resume, applicants should also submit a Cover Letter, Unofficial Transcripts, and at least one Letter of Recommendation written by a faculty member all in PDF format.
- Possession of current measles vaccination. Satisfactory completion of a Tuberculosis (TB) Test
- Must be a recent college graduates (in the last 12 months), or current graduate students having a specific interest in comparative animal nutrition required.
- Completion of introductory Animal Nutrition class which could include livestock, in situ or ex situ Wildlife Species, Pet Species, and/or Human Nutrition course required.
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Degree in Animal Science,
- Wildlife Science,
- or a related field required.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing required.
- Effective organization and planning skills required.
- Effective customer service skills required.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office and other computer programs (Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, and Word) required.
- Demonstrated ability to work with teams and effectively with others in a diverse environment required.
SOME OF THE PERKS YOU WILL ENJOY AS A TEAM MEMBER
- Free admission to the San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Zoo Safari Park
- Family Passes
- Complimentary Tickets
- Local and In-House Discounts
- Employee Assistance Program
- Wellness Program
- Hourly Rate: $19.00