San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is a nonprofit international conservation leader, committed to inspiring a passion for nature and creating a world where all life thrives. Empowering people from around the globe to support our mission to conserve wildlife through innovation and partnerships, we support cutting-edge conservation, and bring the stories of our work back to our two world-famous front doors — the San Diego Zoo and San Diego Zoo Safari Park — giving millions of guests, in person and virtually, the opportunity to experience conservation in action. The deep and extensive knowledge gained from more than a century of experience in wildlife care, health, veterinary services, nutrition and conservation makes us invaluable in the global effort to save species. Our team members play a crucial role in driving our conservation efforts forward and bringing us closer to a world where all life thrives.
HOW YOU WILL IMPACT OUR MISSION
- The Senior Construction & Maintenance Worker will perform a variety of skilled work in the maintenance, construction, alteration, remodeling and repair of organization buildings, facilities, equipment, and grounds; and performs related work as required.
- This position reports to the Lead Construction and Maintenance Worker or C&M Supervisor/Manager.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Assembles metal components to provide timely facility repairs including railings, doors, gates, animal habitats and various zoo facilities.
- Develop innovative maintenance and repair solutions to ensure operational needs are met.
- Understand and apply welding techniques; works quickly and skillfully with their hands; accepts responsibility for the work performed; can visualize what the finished product should look like; operates welding equipment with skill.
- Ability to work well in a team environment and independently.
- Operates and drives a variety of heavy, medium, and light duty motorized vehicles, such as trucks, forklifts, skip loaders, graders, back hoes, water, and dump trucks, etc.
- Excellent knowledge of welding methods and materials
- Use disc grinder to smooth out, weld, or grind parts prior to welding.
- Operate manual and automated welding units and equipment by depositing metal from electrode to work piece and joins edges of work piece.
- Maintain length of arc and speed of movement to form specified depth of fusion and bead.
- Weld in flat and vertical planes (all position welding).
- Examine weld for bead size and other specifications.
- Grind or clean weld joint of work piece.
- Repair improperly welded pieces and fill holes.
- Position and clamp work pieces together or assemble them in a jig.
- Tack assemblies together.
- Fabricate new or replacement parts for a variety of applications.
- Assemble component parts using hand and small power tools.
- May change hoses, fittings, air valves, and other various equipment, etc.
- Maintains a safe working environment and wears protective personal protective equipment.
- Cleans up work area daily.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is looking for a Senior Construction and Maintenance Worker with an emphasis in welding. Must have the experience to estimate materials and labor costs for projects; can navigate an electronic work order system and perform enter data into an asset management tracking system and perform electronic timecard entry.
- Candidate must have a proficiency using a Windows based computer and can create work summaries using MS Word and Excel.
JOB EXPERIENCE - You must meet ONE of the following:
- Successful completion of a state-accredited Welder Apprenticeship Program or
- Five years of full-time journey-level welder with experience in at least TWO of the following types of facilities: Entertainment Park, commercial, industrial, residential, or governmental agencies.
- Qualifying journey-level welder experience in the following areas: MIG; TIG and Arc welding experience working with steel, aluminum, and stainless steel
- Five years of experience working for a license welder contractor
- An equivalent combination of journey-level experience and apprenticeship training from a state accredited welding apprenticeship program.
EDUCATION AND CERFICATIONS
- Education, training, and/or experience as a journey-level Welder and possesses the essential functions, knowledge and skills outlined
- Current valid California Driver’s License in good standing
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Methods, practices, and procedures in one or more of the building and construction trades
- Tools, equipment, and materials used in one or more of the building and construction trades
- Work and material estimating
- Safely and properly handle and operate the tools and equipment used in the assigned building and construction trade(s)
- Recognize and discriminate between colors and/or sounds
- Make simple arithmetic calculations
- Understand and carry out instructions
- Deal tactfully and courteously with others in a diverse environment
- Understand, interpret, and work from blueprints/drawings
- Competently perform the duties of one or more of the building and construction trades outlined
- Knowledge in metal fabrication
SOME OF THE PERKS YOU WILL ENJOY AS A TEAM MEMBER
- Free admission to the San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Zoo Safari Park
- Family Passes
- Complimentary Tickets
- Local and In-House Discounts
- Employee Assistance Program
- Wellness Program
- At San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance, we thrive on celebrating our differences. Diversity is vital for the benefit of our team members, our guests, our community, and our wildlife.
- All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected status.
- If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application, please email your request to email@example.com and provide the job title and location to which you are applying.
- As a Federal Contractor, San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is required to participate in the E-Verify Program to confirm eligibility to work in the United States.
- San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is a drug free workplace.
- 28.98 hourly