The Houston Zoo is seeking well-qualified, team driven leader to join our Bird department for the position of Supervisor. This position requires a skilled professional that has experience developing and maintaining high performing team environment while instilling an inclusive and cooperative environment. A qualified candidate will have experience with team leadership, avian husbandry, training, enrichment, and maintenance, and guest engagement. In addition to supervising the staff, this position will also assist in overseeing the Attwater’s prairie chicken offsite, breeding facility and assist with this endangered Texas birds breeding and release program. The Houston Bird Department consists of 129 species and 12 animal care staff.
- Houston Zoo connects communities with animals, inspiring action to save wildlife.
- Houston Zoo will be a leader in the global movement to save wildlife.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervises the selection, training, mentorship, development, appraisal and work assignments of personnel
- Creates schedules assuring adequate coverage in all areas, including self in those rotations
- Liaison with other zoos in relation to animal management
- Coordinates animal shipments
- Communicates with veterinary staff and develops best practices in animal husbandry
- Ensures regulations are followed within standards of USDA, OSHA and AZA
- Demonstrations strong team building and problem-solving skills
- Participates in appropriate AZA/SSP meetings/ communication
- May assist with tours to engage and connect with Guests and Donors
- Oversees the Bird Department Animal Welfare Program
- Communicates with maintenance staff on project management including completion and tracking of active work orders
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in zoology, biology, animal husbandry, or related field is required; or equivalent experience in lieu of up to two (2) years of formal education
- A minimum of four (4) years of experience in an AZA or equivalent facility, with demonstrated expertise with the relevant groups of animals; at least one (1) of those years being in a leadership capacity
- Strong interpersonal, team-building, organizational and communication skills.
- Progressive experience in a wide variety of avian species, in a conservation setting.
- Must have or be able to obtain a valid Texas driver’s license.
ABOUT HOUSTON ZOO
- The Houston Zoo is made up of many moving parts with over 5,000 permanent residents (our animals) and we host 2 million guests each year.
- Our dedicated staff works around the clock to ensure that the Zoo is always running smoothly for the safety and well-being of our residents and guests.
- We strive to ensure the protection of all the counterparts of the animals we have at the Zoo and in the wild.
- Join the Houston Zoo and become a part of an organization that is focused on the preservation of wildlife and their habitats by combining conservation with education and promotion of sustainable livelihoods in the local communities. Houston Zoo is an Equal Opportunity Employer