The Horticulture Supervisor is primarily responsible for supervising the Horticulture Technicians, outside contractors, and Volunteers in the design, installation, care, and maintenance of the entire Zoo landscape. Promote excellent environmental services and provide beautiful ground upkeep. Leads a team of horticulture technicians by setting expectations and assisting in planning for the department. Works alongside team members daily to ensure quality and training. Staff may occasionally be required to work weekends, holidays, and beyond scheduled work hours. Staff may also provide crowd control if necessary, during peak times.
- Houston Zoo connects communities with animals, inspiring action to save wildlife.
- Houston Zoo will be a leader in the global movement to save wildlife.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Schedules and supervises the day-to-day operations of the horticulture team and their management of the Zoo landscape
- Prioritizes and assigns Work Orders to Senior Technicians and ensures their completion and data entry
- Creates individual plant records including images, scientific information, acquisition information, planting location/date, and cultivation information to help achieve Botanic Garden status
- Continues to label the Zoo’s plant collection and manage the ‘Horticulture Chat’ program
- Assists in the design of and then oversees the installation or renovation of Zoo landscaping
- Orders replacement plants where necessary from an allocated portion of the department budget
- Assists in managing the Zoo’s irrigation and watering master plan including planning, installation, and maintenance
- Continually develops the Zoo’s horticulture team, including performance management, training and disciplinary action
- Ensure compliance with OSHA standards and regulations, as well as state, local, and federal ordinances. Observe safety regulations and ensure that field teams do the same
- Supplies input on design and the selection of plants for new exhibits and projects
- Works with appropriate Zoo staff to co-coordinate projects and ensures that the team is prepared when projects are on-going in their area
- Responsible for communicating the progress of ongoing projects to the Horticulture Manager
- Responsible for overseeing the inventory and maintenance of departmental tools and equipment
- Responsible for overseeing the creation and maintenance of fertilization and herbicide application records
- Monitors all team attendance including checking and approving team timesheets and project breakdown, leave requests, etc.
- Contributes to saving animals in the wild through reduction of waste, water, and energy use and inspiring guests and staff to take wildlife-protecting actions
- Performs other duties as assigned
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Natural Science (e.g. Horticulture, Agriculture, etc.) or equivalent work experience required
- Two years of supervisor experience or relevant work experience within field
- Ability to partner across teams and with all levels of staff
- A sound background in the identification and culture of plants, as well as working knowledge of horticultural best practices
- Some landscape design experience preferred
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Ability to work in a team environment and cooperate with other staff and volunteers
- Must have a valid Texas Driver’s License and comply with policy on driving.
AbOUT HOUSTON ZOO
- The Houston Zoo is made up of many moving parts with over 6,000 permanent residents (our animals) for whom we provide housing, meals, medical care and, yes, even education!
- There are over 2 million guests each year who come to experience our incredible variety of animals and ecosystems, as well as attend special private and public events and entertainment.
- Our dedicated staff works around the clock to ensure that the Zoo is always running smoothly for the safety and well-being of our residents and guests.
- We strive to ensure the protection of all the counterparts of the animals we have at the Zoo and in the wild.
- Join the Houston Zoo and become a part of an organization that is focused on the preservation of wildlife and their habitats by combining conservation with education and the promotion of sustainable livelihoods in the local communities.
- Houston Zoo is an Equal Opportunity Employer