Enjoy. Inspire, Educate. Act. It’s not just a job, it’s a Mission. The Toledo Zoo & Aquarium has been fulfilling its mission of ensuring endangered species are maintained, researched and protected for over 100 years. In order to reach our goals at The Toledo Zoo & Aquarium, we need great people who believe in and will strive to achieve our goals and objectives.
- Currently, the Toledo Zoo is seeking a Primate/Small Mammal Keeper.
- This position is responsible for performing a variety of duties related to animal husbandry and the maintenance of exhibits for the small mammal/apes & primates department.
- Working knowledge of a variety of species with an emphasis on primates but also including canids, hoof stock, otters, and marsupials.
Primates/Apes/Small Mammal Keeper responsibilities involve:
- Maintaining high standards of animal care through preparation and distribution of appropriate diets, animal observation, record maintenance and cleaning of animal areas and some public areas
- Participating in guest engagement activities including talks and tours
- Actively supporting and implementing department policies, procedures and protocols to ensure the highest standards of care of the collection and the safety of staff and visitors
- Participating in collaborative efforts pertaining to the care of the collection including training, enrichment, research and education
- Willingness to be trained in all departmental areas, working with a large variety of animal species
- Overseeing activities of interns and volunteers
- Maintaining a positive attitude, while communicating and collaborating with team members
- This position is non-exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act and requires forty hours per scheduled workweek.
- A Bachelors Degree in Biology/Zoology or related field preferred, or an equivalent combination of education/experience that provides the required knowledge and skills.
- Primate experience preferred. Must have a valid driver’s license and be insurable by the Zoo fleet insurance carrier.
- The Toledo Zoo is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, creed, genetic information, sex, age, national origin, disability, military status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Small Mammal and/or Primate Experience. Paid experience